NEO-NOWHERE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Joel Collin Fortaine (FIXED)

3 posters

Go down

Joel Collin Fortaine (FIXED) Empty Joel Collin Fortaine (FIXED)

Post  horridpixel Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:16 pm

- Name: Joel Collin Fortaine

- Nickname: No nicknames really. When meeting strangers, he sometimes refers to himself as Cole, his deceased brother.

- Height/Weight – 6’ 1” Medium-Light Frame. 165lbs

- Physical Appearance: The taller sibling from the rest of his family.  Joel has blue eyes and medium dark (almost black) hair with a chin spike. He wears a grey bandana that makes his bangs sweep to the left and the back of his hair curl up. Joel wears a brown, worn-out jacket with 4 pockets on the front and two in the back. Under the jacket, he wears a thin white hoodie. Joel doesn’t like sleeves, so he pushes them up to keep them out of his way. He wears the jacket like this to carry more supplies. Joel wears his toolkit backpack also. Joel also wears a short, thin red scarf around his neck that was his brother Cole’s. On his left arm, Joel has a medical bandage wrapped around his forearm. On his right arm, Joel wears 3 rope wristbands, all brown in color and in different sizes; one bulky, one thin, and one with a charm given by a survivor with a small Pegasus engraved in a coin. Joel wears dirt-stained blue jeans with hiking shoes.

- Power: Joel is able to channel a white/greenish aura of energy to become a white mist for a period of time. This makes Joel lighter than air, completely silent and slightly invisible (about 80%), adding a stealthier approach to combat and travel. It starts with Joel focusing on the Pegasus charm, which the engraving begins to glow a bright green color as he stares at it. The light begins to seep into his veins and cause them to glow, and then he closes his eyes and twists his left arm to face him. He closes his hand and watches as a white/greenish mist slowly decompose his hand into a misty figure until his whole body deteriorates. To return to his normal self, he simply just opens his left hand, the one containing the mist. Joel believes that the charm originated from a mutated Neo-Nowhere resident and is the catalyst of his power, since he can only go 5 minutes in his mist form without returning to normal.

- Special Traits: Being more of a survivalist than an explorer, Joel has the ability to quickly make his battlefield his weapon. Adaptability is his key skill. Joel has the ability to adjust to the new situations and be able to keep his head in the game without having to change his attitude and behavior to handle situations as they progress. After the years of the outbreak, Joel lets go of the way it used to be and uses different tactics to face the emerging reality.
Joel is also a man of Ingenuity. Watching other survivors create their own weapons in district camps and die by their own weapon caused Joel to pursue this. You could say he is the engineer of the apocalypse; having the ability to craft from whatever is available.
Lastly, Joel has a remarkable sense of instinct. He doesn’t need to think very hard, panic, or obsess. He just acts.

- Flaws: Joel’s instincts aren’t always the best ones. Sometimes jumping to conclusions nearly can get others nearly killed in the process.
Being in the apocalypse of Neo-Nowhere, sometimes Joel will try to help out other survivors. Even though he sees this as being a protector to others, this trait has had Joel make some close calls with cannibals and the infected.
Since Joel is more of the survivalist type, he will loot any corpse or container he can find that could contain useful and sometimes useless materials for crafting his weapons. Sometimes he does this when the real call of action is to be running from the horde of infected bashing down the back door.

- Weapon(s):
Military Beretta 92FS/M9 Looted from a military officer’s corpse.

3 Black Steel Throwing Knives engraved with 1 one word each, spelling out “Forest Fortuna Adiuvat”
The phrase in Latin says, “Fortune favors the Brave.”

Creatable weapons include:
Smoke bomb – Created with a burlap sack or brown paper back full of oxidized sugar and explosives. Helps the groups make a quick getaway and buy some time before the enemy recovers from stun.
(Joel usually offers this to most companions to help them survive a little longer)

Nail Board Knuckles¬-Created with small piece of wood at least hand length to fit with three steel nails, forming a spiked knuckle that should be used as a last resort when in close quarters with a zombie. This weapon only lasts ONE kill, since the board will snap after finishing the infected off.
(Joel only offers this to people Joel truly cares about. If he sees another character that he has a grudge against about to have his face chewed off, he might let you deal with it.)

Phoenix (Flare SMG) - Created with some scrap metal and a trigger/trap-based mechanism, this bad boy is your godsend. Slightly larger than the size of a pistol, this psychotic styled scrap gun uses anything that is in a spray can to send a concentrated ball of fire your way. Instead of a constant flamethrower weapon, Joel designed this to fire short bursts to conserve the contents of the item used. This weapon is mainly a crowd breaker for zombies, especially when they see a fellow zombie become a walking torch.
(This is Joel’s prized creation. Good luck prying this from him, unless he sees otherwise…)

*Joel made his backpack into a small workbench with a toolkit and a 5” by 8” board inside. He mainly holds anything from duct tape to an antibiotic inside.*

Alignment:
Neutral Good. Does what he needs to do to keep himself and the group alive.

- Background: *Since my computer lagged out and didn't save any of his background, let me sum it up.*
Joel survived with his younger brother, Cole, during the beginning of the outbreak. Cole later died of a bite infection. Joel later tried to keep others alive for his own sanity after the fact that Cole's death stained Joel's mind. Joel helped out a struggling group and assisted the group by being a recon scout, making sure the newly infected were away in a safe distance. Joel would report to the group day by day, to realize that they were dropping like flies from disease. Joel left the group, thinking that it was his presence causing the plague of the group, and how it was Cole punishing him. Their mother always told of stories of the Philosopher's Heart and its endless possibilities and raw power. Joel thinks this is mostly bogus, but if other's are insane enough to pursue this....thing, maybe he could take the Philosopher's Heart, travel to the event of the beginning of Neo-Nowhere, and kill the son-of-a-bitch who caused the curse that killed his brother.

Last edited by horridpixel on Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:04 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Error in backstory. Now fixed.)
horridpixel
horridpixel

Back to top Go down

Joel Collin Fortaine (FIXED) Empty Re: Joel Collin Fortaine (FIXED)

Post  FourStringFingerSting Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:18 am

Terrific character Ty! I'm impressed! The only thing that doesn't completely add up is his background. The infection is actually just starting when the story begins, so you may want to change some things around. You can still make him a survivalist but the current zombie infection can't exactly be the origin of it. Other than that, great job. Once you tweak it, I'll approve Joel right away!

EDIT: Thanks for cleaning that up Ty! Joel is accepted!
FourStringFingerSting
FourStringFingerSting
Admin

https://neonowhere.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Post  DDWRINKLE Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:15 am

GREAT! Love that you actually gave him a power though! Much needed!

One small problem though you said

Lastly, Joel has a remarkable sense of instinct. He doesn’t need to think very hard, panic, or obsess. He just acts.

Then literally the next sentence reads

Joel’s instincts aren’t always the best ones. Sometimes jumping to conclusions nearly can get others nearly killed in the process.

Kinda confused me. I mean it's not that big of an issue but I thought I might point it out to you.

But otherwise I can't wait to see you on the battlefield good sir.
DDWRINKLE
DDWRINKLE

Back to top Go down

Post  horridpixel Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:35 am

DDWRINKLE wrote:GREAT! Love that you actually gave him a power though! Much needed!

One small problem though you said

Then literally the next sentence reads

Joel’s instincts aren’t always the best ones. Sometimes jumping to conclusions nearly can get others nearly killed in the process.

Kinda confused me. I mean it's not that big of an issue but I thought I might point it out to you.

But otherwise I can't wait to see you on the battlefield good sir.

Let me clear up the confusion. What I meant by those details is that whenever a group is in the "I don't know what to do!" Moment, Joel just thinks he knows what to do, but his conclusions aren't always the best ones.
horridpixel
horridpixel

Back to top Go down

Post  DDWRINKLE Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:52 pm

Ah! ok! Rereading it now, it makes a whole lot more sense. Also another thought. Why have a time limit on your power? I mean I think you could do a bit more and let alone it would be more entertaining to able to use it for however long you please. Also it would be a bit daunting trying to judge whether or not that 5 minutes is up. I mean I have a more extreme power than your character and I dont even have a time limit. Just some food for thought. Very Happy
DDWRINKLE
DDWRINKLE

Back to top Go down

Post  FourStringFingerSting Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:25 am

DDWRINKLE wrote:Ah! ok! Rereading it now, it makes a whole lot more sense. Also another thought. Why have a time limit on your power? I mean I think you could do a bit more and let alone it would be more entertaining to able to use it for however long you please. Also it would be a bit daunting trying to judge whether or not that 5 minutes is up. I mean I have a more extreme power than your character and I dont even have a time limit. Just some food for thought. Very Happy

Damien and I were actually both discussing this last night. You definitely don't have to have a time limit on your power. It's hard to judge that sort of thing anyways. Completely up to you, but we think it'd be simpler if you got rid of the time restraint altogether!
FourStringFingerSting
FourStringFingerSting
Admin

https://neonowhere.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum